The first Club in the County was Burghley Park (Stamford) which was formed in October 1890 with a 9 hole course.A number of Clubs have also celebrated their Centenaries, Belton Park, Lincoln, Woodhall Spa, Gainsborough, Canwick Park, Seacroft, Boston, Elsham, Sandilands, Blankney,Cleethorpes ,Sleaford, Spalding ,Holme Hall and North Shore.
The Lincolnshire Union of Golf Clubs was founded in February 1900 on the initiative of a Mr W T Warrender. Thirteen of the leading Clubs in the County became affiliated to the Union and the first Championship meeting extending over a week was held on the green of the Lincoln Golf Club in April of that year. Today their are 55 Clubs in the Union within the geographical area from the Humber in the North to the County Boundary in the South with a male playing membership of some18,000.
The objectives of the Union are to affiliate recognised Clubs in the County which must have a constitution approved by the Union and have facilities for players of a standard acceptable to the Union; to further the interests of Amateur golf; to arrange County Competitions and matches and; to co-operate with the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews and the English Golf Union in all matters relating to Amateur Golf. Before a Club can be affiliated to the Union an inspection is carried out by Officers of the Union to ensure that the principles as set out by the LUGC are met and that the Club will be organised in accordance with the Rules of the LUGC.